Not Even Close
The 2008 Baker Trail UltraChallenge - August 23
Last year, Andrew Weber led the race for most of the day, only to be passed by Canadian Glenna Fraumeni around mile 40 for an eventual second place finish. This year, things would be different. Again Andrew was in the lead throughout the day, and this time there would be no one to pass him. The only contender was Brian Buddemeyer, but Andrew pulled ahead after mile 12 and never looked back. Andrew finished first overall, in just under 9 hours. Brian finished second, a little over an hour later.
The four-person relay team Chickless Dicks dominated, finishing more than an hour ahead of the five-person Skanks & Geezers team.
It was a beautiful sunny late summer day, starting off around 60 degrees at the trailhead and warming to a seasonal low 80s in the afternoon. The weather made the inaugural staging of the Baker Trail Cakewalk a memorable one. The Cakewalk was a 15-mile hike from the trailhead to the Cook Forest fire tower, and garnered 18 participants. Not bad for a last-minute addition to our lineup.
The Ultra itself had 42 starters, with 33 finishing within the 14-hour time limit.
Karl Zellars received his commemorative rolling pin display for finishing all three segments of the Baker Trail UltraChallenge.
The trophies were awarded as follows. Congratulations to all!
- First Place Overall: Andrew Weber,28,Pittsburgh,PA (8:56:21)
- Second Place Overall: Brian Buddemeyer,31,South Park,PA (10:02:11)
- Third Place Overall: Kimberly Marshall,36,Wexford,PA (10:16:42)
- First Place Male: Andrew Karnavas,50,Allison Park,PA (10:27:11)
- Second Place Male: Eric Deutsch,37,Pittsburgh,PA (10:31:22)
- Third Place Male: Karl Zellars,21,Valencia,PA (11:24:35)
- First Place Female: Pamela Hershberger,52,Clearville,PA (12:05:33)
- Second Place Female: Stacey Falkner,37,Lewistown,PA (12:44:25)
- Third Place Female: Denise Little,37,Palmyra,PA (12:51:13)
- First Place Overall Relay: Chickless Dicks (7:22:50)
- First Place Coed Relay: Skanks & Geezers (8:26:50)
Many thanks to all our volunteers, who helped out tremendously! We are very grateful.